Eating oatmeal is a great way to participate in National Oatmeal Month during January. Centennial, CO, home care professionals believe there are many reasons to eat oatmeal. It helps lower blood pressure and blood sugar and makes you feel fuller longer. There are so many different ways to fix oatmeal that you will never tire of it. Get your senior loved one’s year off to a great start by trying these delicious recipes.
Pina Colada Oatmeal
1/2 cup Quaker® Oats Quick One Minute
1 cup coconut milk
1/16 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup cocoa coconut flakes
1/4 cup coconut yogurt
1/2 cup pineapple chunks, plus more for topping
1 maraschino cherry
1. Place coconut in skillet and toast it lightly.
2. Place the coconut milk in a medium saucepan. Heat it over low heat.
3. After small bubbles form, add the oats, pineapple and salt.
4. Cook for one minute stirring constantly.
5. Remove from the heat and place on a serving plate.
6. Top with yogurt.
7. Serve and enjoy.
Sweet Potato Oatmeal
1 cup rolled oats
1 sweet potato
2 brown sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tablespoon flaxseed meal
3 chopped walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Cut sweet potato in half. Lightly coat potato with olive oil.
3. Line a cookie sheet with foil. Place potato flesh side down on the sheet.
4. Bake until tender about 25 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, place flaxseed meal in a saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat.
6. Add oats and reduce heat to medium. Cook for five minutes stirring frequently.
7. Mash sweet potato and measure out 1/2 cup.
8. Stir potato into oats and add remaining ingredients.
With wonderful recipes like these, you and your senior loved one may want to eat oatmeal at every meal during National Oatmeal Month. Learn about other heart-healthy recipes when you call Home Care Assistance at 303.957.3100. We provide flexible live-in and hourly home care Centennial, CO, seniors need to maintain healthy diet and exercise and boost overall wellbeing. Talk to a friendly Care Manager today to customize a care plan for your loved one.